About Our Program
Capitol Squash is a fun and intensive part-academic, part-athletic enrichment program focused on teaching Hartford, Connecticut's youth the valuable life lessons of problem solving, critical thinking, and conflict resolution through the game of squash. Based upon the model provided by the flagship, Boston-based program, SquashBusters, Capitol Squash will immerse students not only in the academic and athletic rigors provided by the program, but also in community service and service learning.
By providing supplemental academic instruction, Capitol Squash seeks to improve standardized test scores of its students through an interdisciplinary approach that partners traditional instruction with real life experience in a way that enforces the importance of community, responsibility, and hard work.
Capitol Squash Facts
- Capitol Squash will seek membership with the National Urban Squash and Education Association (NUSEA) in 2011. Encompassing the cities of Baltimore, Boston, Charleston, Chicago, Denver, Detroit, New Haven, New York, Philadelphia, and San Diego, NUSEA has achieved the following outstanding results:
- 100% of Urban Squash students graduate from high school
- 93% of Urban Squash graduates earn a college degree
- Over $8 million in scholarships have been awarded to 70 Urban Squash graduates for private high school and college tuition
- We will work with Hartford School students for seven consecutive years.
- We are partnered with Kingswood-Oxford and Westminster Schools.
- We utilize the game of squash and competitive play to teach, model, and cultivate interpersonal skills, sportsmanship, confidence, independence, problem solving, and fitness.
- Our program instills responsibiliy while celebrating empathy through community service and service learning throughout the year.
- Capitol Squash provides comprehensive secondary school and college guidance.
DOWNLOAD OUR BROCHURE - PDF